Sunday, February 19, 2012

Jumping Back In…

*I am rewriting this from Windows Live Writer because Linux decided to eat my post*

With work and life being crazy I’ve missed out on a lot of what I really enjoy, Technology. So I set myself a goal to jump right in. I gave myself a week to do it all, just to make it more fun and stressing.

I started by deciding that I was going to dual-boot my laptop so that I could ultimately use Linux full time but have the fall back of Windows when I just had to have it. I told myself I wouldn’t use Ubuntu so that I could challenge myself during my week of techno lust boot camp. I wanted to try something new so I decided to go Unix with BSD. I looked over my options and decided that I wanted to use PCBSD and away I went. After my successful install I came to find out that I didn’t have touchpad support nor USB to use a mouse. I trolled forums and got all the help I could from the official IRC channel and had to decide that I had to pick another distro,but not Ubuntu!

I decided to try Mandriva. I used Mandriva as my primary OS for years but walked away with the introduction of KDE4. I knew that I liked the Mandriva OS and how it worked and I decided that I would just have to get used to using KDE4 because Gnome was just ugly in Mandriva.  I installed my new OS perfectly and found that everything worked well. With only having a few problems here and there I was confident that I could use it as my primary OS for the week.

With my laptop dual booted and me using my alternative OS it was time to move to the next step….The dreaded micro-blogging.

I refuse to use Facebook for reasons of personal privacy so I used Google+ and Twitter. I posted daily blurbs about what I was thinking about things on both platforms. The first few days I had to remind I myself that I had to post something. Around Wednesday I was tweeting and plusing like a pro. I’ve written before that I care more for a real blog rather than a tweet but I guess I have to give a little to get a little.

Two goals down I guess I needed to come up with more…. I did.

With everything going well I decided I should take on a few more goals to make it not as easy. I had a reading list set up every morning and I watched weekly episodes of various tech shows around the internet to stay up to date with the tech world. I used Lifehacker to learn something and try new apps everyday.  I also started planning for a Vlog and podcast. I researched everyday and began brainstorming with friends. Expect more of that to come.

 

I think I did pretty well in my self inflicted boot camp and feel better about my technology intake. I plan on setting up weekly plans to post at least 3 days a week and upload media as well. I hope your still hanging on and hoping I bring life to this blog.

 

Keep on believing people. I’m trying to make it back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

back from the dead... again? stick around this time man.