Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Is Micro-Blogging Killing Blogging?

This has been a question I have been pondering for months now. Are blogs dying because the bloggers have nothing to say once they finally get off the mobile device and sit down in front of their computer, assuming that they are still using a computer? With services live Gowalla,Foursquare,Twitter,and all the social networks having a mobile app, what is really left? 

I find myself being guilty of falling into the micro-blogging trends. Throughout the day I check Twitter feeds,Facebook posts,Foursquare check-ins, and keep looking for the next cool micro-blogging app. I also check for my favorite blogs and news outlets which gives me faith that blogging isn’t dead.

If we can find that happy medium between micro and standard blogging I think that things will progress to something even greater. I’m glad I can see what my friends are having for breakfast, where they checked in last night and what they “Liked” throughout the day but I still want thoughts and opinions in more than 150 characters. Blogging,podcasts,and vlogs are still very popular but it seems that I hear more about “Follow me here and  there” than I am hearing news and opinions.

So what I hope for in the future is that after you let us know what underwear you decided to wear, the doughnuts you ate, and the band you liked that you’ll sit down and let me know something worth reading.

No comments: